Thursday, January 5, 2012

Jennie Character Designs

This story is about a little boy in London that gets turned into a cat. I did 3 character designs. First up is the design of Peter, before he gets turned into a cat. He's a shy, introverted kind of kid. I imagined him to be a bit socially awkward.




Next up are the cat designs. I had a really hard time with nailing Peter as a cat. The first one here is Dempsey, the mean alley tomcat that beats the crap out of Peter when he first finds himself a cat. Dempsey had a much more distinguishable personality, so I had more fun designing him, but Peter as a cat was difficult because he grew a ton throughout the story. I went through a lot of different variations.


Dempsey

Along the way in this story, called The Abandoned, by the way, Peter meets another cat named Jennie whom basically becomes his mentor. Jennie acts as the mother figure that he never had around as a human. The green one on the right is the final Jennie design, and the blue one on the left is an old version of a Peter.



Peter and Jennie

I liked how Jennie came out because I've had a sly, resourceful cat before. But Peter is a human-turned-cat that learns more about being a cat. This bottom one is the final design I came up with for Peter. It doesn't feel as good as the final Jennie or Dempsey designs, but I tried my best to get a across a sense of curiosity.



No comments:

Post a Comment